If you are looking for the latest cricket predictions, tips, best odds and the best cricket bookmakers for wherever you are and if you want to know and understand which are the best cricket betting markets, you have come to the right page!
An Exhaustive Cricket Betting Guide: Everything You Wanted to Know About Cricket Betting
In this article, we have everything associated with cricket-related betting so that you can make an informed decision on the same – basically, it’s one of the most exhaustive cricket betting guides you will find on the internet!
- Cricket Tournaments & Series for Betting
- Best Online Cricket Betting Sites List
- Best Cricket Betting Markets
- Best Cricket Betting Strategies
Cricket Tournaments & Series for Betting
In the way that cricket tournaments and match-ups are spread, it’s not the easiest sport to follow but here’s a list of all the major tournaments that you can put your money on.
For starters, it’s important to talk about the three main formats and one other new one on which cricket punters typically bet.
Test matches are traditionally the oldest format having first been played in 1877 before ODI cricket made its way into the sport in 1971. T20Is were first played in the early part of the 2000s and have become more prolific in recent times while T10 cricket has made its way with former cricketers playing this in a few tournaments around the world.
Some of this cricket is played as international bilateral series, i.e. between two countries, but cricket is now becoming majorly a sport that consists of multi-team tournaments played on a home and away basis.
Some of the important international cricket series & tournaments include:
- The Ashes (England v Australia Tests): The oldest Test series in the world still evokes the same amount of passion between the fans of the two countries, Australia and England.
- India v Australia bilateral: India v Australia is one of the greatest modern-day rivalry and their recent Test match results is a testimony to how India have turned things around.
- India v England bilateral: One of the rarest of rare sides to have beaten India in a Test series in India (way back in 2012), England have often caused issues for India in their own backyard. The information around the upcoming series between India and England can be found here.
- India v Pakistan matches (which are typically played as a part of ICC tournaments): While India and Pakistan don’t face off in bilateral series any more because of their political situation, their rivalry is still looked out for in the Asia Cup and the ICC events like the T20 and ODI World Cup.
- ODI World Cup: The 50-over format might be losing in relevance in recent times but that did not stop the 2023 ODI World Cup from being followed the world over.
- T20 World Cup: The T20 World Cup is tipped to be played every two years and has seen more and more teams participate in it. The 2024 edition, for instance, will see 20 teams make it to the main draw. Read more about the upcoming T20 World Cup here.
- ICC World Test Championship: One of the initiatives taken by the ICC to save the Test match format is to have a World Cup of Test matches. This runs over two years and has been played in 2019-21, 2021-23 and the current 2023-25 cycle.
- ICC World Cup Qualifiers: This series of tournaments gives the teams outside of the top eight to qualify for the ODI World Cup. It has been played over a couple of years as well.
- ICC T20 World Cup Qualifiers: This series of tournaments gives the teams outside of the top eight to qualify for the T20I World Cup. It has been played over a couple of years as well.
- ICC Under-19 World Cup: The next-gen of cricket gets their chance to make their mark at this competition which is played every two years. Read more about the next U19 World Cup here.
- Women’s World Cup: Women’s cricket has taken off in recent times and one of the premier tournaments for them is the 50-over World Cup.
- Women’s T20 World Cup: This format helps the women’s game grow in previously unheard-of countries – as far as cricket is concerned.
Some of the important inter-city or state leagues played around the world include:
- Indian Premier League: The biggest cricket tournament in the world and the third-richest sports competition by revenue/match, the IPL can take a lot of credit for helping the sport grow and even make it to the 2028 LA Olympics. Read more about IPL here.
- Pakistan Super League: A T20 tournament started in 2016, the PSL has grown commendably over the years in Pakistan. Read more about PSL here.
- Lanka Premier League: Sri Lanka has tried to push for a T20 league much like their other Asian neighbours and while they have not always been successful they will hope the LPL is the answer to their woes. Read more about LPL here.
- Bangladesh Premier League: A T20 league that was started in Bangladesh in 2012, has had its share of controversies and scares but it looks to have sustained well. Read more about BPL here.
- Big Bash League: Often called one of the better T20 tournaments in the world, the BBL is played in Australia and often merges with their Test calendar. Read more about BBL here.
- New Zealand Super Smash: While it’s not one of the most prominent T20 tournaments in the world, it has been played since the 2005-06 season and lasted the scrutiny of time. Read more about Super Smash T20 here.
- The Hundred (which is a different format from the rest): A new format started in the UK as an answer to franchise cricket. Matches last 100 balls instead of 20 overs. Read more about The Hundred here.
- T20 Blast: England’s original T20 tournament which kick-started the T20 revolution way back in 2003. Read more about the T20 Blast here.
- Caribbean Premier League: A very colourful T20 tournament that is played in the West Indies with six teams from the region featuring in the competition. Read more about the CPL here.
- SA20: The latest of South Africa’s attempts to set the ball rolling in franchise-based T20s but this seems like it is here to stay. Read more about SAT20 here.
- Zimbabwe Domestic T20 Competition: The domestic T20 competition held in Zimbabwe might not be the most famous but we have all the information around it too. Read more about it here.
- Abu Dhabi T10 League: Read more about the Abu Dhabi T10 League here.
- Legends League Cricket: Read more about the LLC here.
- Sri Lanka T10: Read more about Sri Lanka T10 here.
- Zim Afro T10: Read more about Zimbabwe Afro T10 here.
- WPL: The women’s version of the Indian Premier League that started in 2023. Read more about WPL here.
- WBBL: The women’s version of the Big Bash League.
Best Online Cricket Betting Sites
This is a general list of bookmakers who have had a proven track record for betting on cricket. This list will be updated from time to time to reflect the latest views on cricket bookmakers in the market at that time.
It must also be noted that some of these bookmakers might not be available in your country. For a more exhaustive list of top cricket betting sites list for every country, we have a separate article which reviews all the top cricket bookmakers here.
|Bet365 is one of the largest and most popular online sports betting platforms. It offers a wide range of cricket betting markets, live streaming of matches, and competitive odds.
|Betway has gained popularity for its user-friendly interface and comprehensive cricket betting options. They often provide attractive promotions and bonuses for cricket events.
|888sport is known for its diverse sports markets, and cricket is no exception. They offer competitive odds and promotions for major cricket tournaments.
|With a long history in the betting industry, William Hill is a trusted bookmaker that covers a variety of sports, including cricket. They offer in-play betting and live streaming for cricket matches.
|Unibet is a European bookmaker that has expanded its reach globally. They provide a range of cricket betting options along with live streaming and statistical insights.
|Pinnacle is well-regarded for offering high odds and catering to professional bettors. They cover a variety of sports, including cricket, and are known for their low-margin approach.
|Betfair operates as a betting exchange, allowing users to bet against each other. This platform often provides unique betting opportunities and can offer competitive odds.
|This bookmaker is specifically tailored for the Indian market and focuses heavily on cricket. It provides a user-friendly experience and covers a wide range of cricket events.
|Dafabet is a popular choice for cricket betting, particularly in Asian markets. They offer a variety of cricket markets and competitive odds.
|Known for its mobile-friendly platform, LeoVegas provides a range of sports betting options, including cricket. They often have attractive promotions and a user-friendly interface.
|Melbet is an international bookmaker that has gained popularity for its extensive coverage of sports, including cricket. They offer a wide range of betting markets.
|Parimatch is a global bookmaker that covers a variety of sports, with a focus on cricket. They provide competitive odds and a user-friendly platform.
|22Bet is known for its vast selection of sports markets, and cricket is well-represented. They offer a variety of betting options and attractive bonuses.
|Betfred is a well-established bookmaker in the UK that covers cricket extensively. They provide in-play betting, live streaming, and various promotions.
|Betsson is a Swedish bookmaker that has expanded its reach globally. They offer a comprehensive sportsbook, including a variety of cricket markets.
|ComeOn is a user-friendly platform that provides a range of sports betting options, including cricket. They often have promotions and a loyalty program.
|Sportingbet is known for its extensive sports coverage and competitive odds. They offer a variety of cricket betting options and live in-play betting.
|NetBet is an online sportsbook that caters to a global audience. They cover cricket events and provide a user-friendly interface for betting.
Best Cricket Betting Markets
For starters, what’s a cricket betting market? It’s a type or category of a cricket bet which is associated with the latest odds.
For instance, in a match between Team A and Team B, the winner of the match is a market you can bet on. Similarly, you can bet on the “Top Run-Getter” or the “Top Wicket-Taker” for that match and both of these are also cricket betting markets.
Here’s a list of some of the major cricket betting markets available around. Let’s take the example of the India v Pakistan match in the 2023 World Cup for this.
Match Winner (Moneyline)
Betting on the outcome of the match, where you predict which team will win or if the match will end in a draw (in Test matches). There could also be the rare occurrence of a tie in cricket, i.e. when both teams end on the same score.
- In Test and 1st Class cricket, three outcomes are possible – Team A, Draw, or Team B. Draw No Bet is also an option some bookmakers provide. This involves a wager on either Team A or Team B winning. If the match ends in a draw, the bet is refunded.
- In limited-overs cricket, like T10, T20 and ODIs, the options are Team A or Team B, with ties having specific bookmaker conditions.
So in the example of the India v Pakistan match from the 2023 World Cup, there would have been odds associated with an Indian win and that with a Pakistan win. If you had bet on India beating Pakistan in that match, you would have made substantial money.
Betting on the player you believe will score the most runs in a particular innings or match. This market can be divided into top team batsman (i.e. top India batsman and top Pakistan batsman in that India v Pakistan World Cup 2023 game) and top overall batsman. Babar Azam was the top Pakistan batter in that game with 50 and Rohit Sharma was both, the top India batsman and the top batsman with 86.
These bets include predicting the first wicket method, the top batsman/bowler for each team, the player of the match, and whether a player will score 50 or more. Player Performance Points: Some bookmakers offer a fantasy cricket-style market where points are awarded for runs, wickets, and catches, and you bet on a player’s total points.
Similar to the top batsmen, this market involves betting on the bowler who will take the most wickets in a specific innings or match. Jasprit Bumrah’s 2/19 made him the Top India bowler in the game and the Top Bowler ahead of four other Indian bowlers who all had picked 2 wickets, while Shaheen Shah Afridi’s 2/36 made him the Top Pakistan bowler.
Total Runs (Over/Under)
Predict whether the total runs scored in a match will be over or under a specified number. This could be for an individual team or the combined runs in a match.
Method of Dismissal
Betting on how a particular batsman will be dismissed, such as caught, bowled, LBW (leg before wicket), run out, stumped or like was the case in the Sri Lanka v Bangladesh game during the 2023 World Cup when Angelo Mathews was Timed Out.
First Ball & First Over Bets
- 1st Over Total Runs: Betting on the total runs scored in the first over of the match. This is a short-term, quick-fire market.
- First Ball: These include predicting the outcome of the first ball.
Toss Winner and Toss Decision
Predicting which team will win the coin toss and whether they will choose to bat or bowl first.
Highest Opening Partnership
Betting on which team’s opening pair will score the most runs before the first wicket falls. This can have two or three possible outcomes, depending on the bookmaker.
Highest First 6 Overs
Betting on which team will score the most in the first 6 overs.
- To Win Outright: Betting on a team in a series of matches.
- Series Score: Predicting outcomes of matches in a single series.
Most Run Outs
A bet on which team will have the most run-outs.
Team to Score Most 4s/6s
Predicting which team will hit the most 4s or 6s in their innings.
Total 4s/6s Betting
An over/under bet on the total number of 4s or 6s scored in a match.
Live Betting (In-Play)
Betting on various markets while the match is in progress, including runs in a specific over, the method of the next dismissal, or the outcome of the next delivery. It also helps if the bookmaker offers this market alongside a live streaming of the ongoing game, making it easier for the punter to put one’s money into the live play.
There are a few aspects related to in-play betting in cricket. We have a comprehensive guide that explains all these facets of live cricket betting here if you are looking for an in-depth understanding of the same.
Best Cricket Betting Strategies
Here’s a beginner’s guide related to cricket betting and punting:
Cricket, a sport celebrated for its rich traditions and fervent fan following, has evolved into a prime choice for enthusiasts of sports betting.
Whether you’re an ardent cricket follower or a newcomer to the game, cricket betting presents a thrilling opportunity to interact with the sport while potentially reaping financial rewards.
However, before immersing yourself in the world of cricket betting, it’s essential to arm yourself with a solid comprehension of the game, effective betting strategies, and responsible gambling practices.
Grasp the Game and Betting Markets
Before placing any wagers, it’s crucial to possess a comprehensive understanding of the rules and intricacies of cricket. Familiarize yourself with the various formats, such as Test matches, One-Day Internationals (ODIs), and Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is), as each format introduces unique dynamics and betting opportunities.
Additionally, explore diverse betting markets, including match bets, toss predictions, top bowler/batsman bets, and innings runs bets.
Conduct Thorough Research on Teams and Players
In-depth research forms the bedrock of successful cricket betting. Gather information about the participating teams, considering their strengths and weaknesses, recent form, and head-to-head records.
Dive into individual player statistics, examining their performance in specific conditions and against similar opponents. Rely on reputable sources, such as cricket websites, news outlets, and expert analyses, to gain valuable insights.
Effectively Manage Your Bankroll
Bankroll management stands as a critical aspect of responsible gambling. Set a realistic betting budget and adhere to it. Avoid chasing losses or making impulsive decisions based on emotions.
Break down your bankroll into smaller units and allocate specific amounts for each bet. This disciplined approach helps maintain financial discipline and prevents excessive spending.
Seek the Best Odds
Different betting platforms present varying odds for the same event. Comparing odds across multiple bookmakers can significantly impact potential returns. Employ odds comparison websites or tools to pinpoint the best available odds for your selected bets.
Account for Pitch and Weather Conditions
Pitch conditions and weather exert a substantial influence on the outcome of a cricket match. A dry and bouncy pitch favours fast bowlers, while a slow and low pitch suits spinners.
Similarly, overcast conditions and rain can impede run-scoring, while sunny weather can encourage aggressive batting. Scrutinize these factors meticulously before placing your bets.
Commence with Low-Risk Bets
For beginners, it’s advisable to initiate low-risk bets that offer smaller yet more probable payouts. This approach allows you to amass experience and confidence without exposing yourself to significant losses.
As your knowledge and understanding grow, you can gradually incorporate higher-risk bets into your strategy.
Leverage Cricket Tipsters and Expert Predictions
Cricket tipsters and experts offer valuable insights and predictions based on their profound analysis of the game. While solely relying on tips isn’t recommended, integrating expert opinions can complement your research and decision-making process.
Embrace Responsible Gambling Practices
Cricket betting should be a pleasurable and engaging experience. Never gamble more than you can comfortably afford to lose. Establish clear limits for yourself and adhere to them rigorously.
Take breaks from betting if you feel overwhelmed or encounter negative emotions. Seek assistance from support organizations if you develop a gambling problem.
Remember, cricket betting is a form of entertainment, not a guaranteed source of income. Approach it with a sense of responsibility, prioritize your well-being, and relish the excitement of connecting with the sport in a novel and enjoyable manner.
Some of the other aspects of cricket betting that we have discussed or will soon do the same on TicketsIPL.com include:
- Cricket Betting Odds Explained (Read more here)
- Cricket Betting Jargon (Read more here)
- Live Betting Strategies (Read more here)
- Cricket Betting Apps
- Cricket Betting Bonuses and Promotions
- Cricket Betting Tips and Predictions (Get all the latest betting tips & predictions here)
- Bankroll Management Strategies (Read more here)
- Cricket Betting Regulations and Legality
- Cricket Betting Software and Tools
- Cricket Betting and Responsible Gambling
- Cricket Betting and Statistics
- Cricket Betting Case Studies
Photo Credit: John Schnobrich on Unsplash