The Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium is a cricket ground that hosts cricket matches in the city of Dharmasala, the winter capital of the state of Himachal Pradesh.
This stadium is one of the newest cricket stadiums to host international cricket in India and the latest to host a Test match. Having a capacity of 23,000, the HPCA Stadium has also played host to a few of the IPL matches having played as a home team to the Kings XI Punjab – or the Punjab Kings as they were later called.
Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium Dharamsala Tickets
Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium World Cup Tickets & Schedule
Dharmasala also hosted a few matches at the 2016 T20 World Cup but a key India-Pakistan encounter had to be taken away from there because of security concerns. Later it was nominated to host five of the 2023 World Cup matches but ran into some trouble with complaints from players about the dangerous outfield.
- Afghanistan v Bangladesh: Afghanistan would have loved to win this one too especially after the manner in which they went in the rest of the tournament. Bangladesh, however, came away with a six-wicket win after Afghanistan collapsed batting first.
- England v Bangladesh: A strong performance from Dawid Malan helped England coast to a 137-run win over Bangladesh with little known about what was to follow for England in the rest of the tournament.
- Netherlands v South Africa: In what was one of two shock wins of the competition, Netherlands stunned South Africa in a rain-reduced 43-overs-a-side encounter.
- India v New Zealand: India chased down 273 in 48 overs thanks to a superlative Virat Kohli effort at this ground against New Zealand.
- Australia v New Zealand: Australia piled up a massive 388 batting first and New Zealand fell excruciatingly close, losing by five runs in the end.
Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium IPL 2024 Tickets
IPL 2024 tickets for matches at the HPCA Stadium in Dharamsala can be booked online through platforms like PayTM, Bookmyshow, and insiders.in, or offline at the stadium’s ticket counter. The online process is more convenient, allowing seat selection and digital payment, with the option for home delivery of tickets.
Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium Seating Layout
Some of the stands at the HPCA Stadium include the following:
- North VIP Stand
- Club Longue
- VVIP Area
- Pavilion Terrace
- North 1 Upper & Lower
- North 2 Upper & Lower
- Corporate Box
- Central Stand 1
- East Stand 1, 2 and 3
- West Stand 1 & 2
- North West Stand
Known to be one of the most picturesque cricket grounds in the world, it has the snow-capped Himalayan mountain range in the background, making it a beautiful cricket ground to watch and play cricket at. The hilly terrain and some really harsh winters, however, do make it difficult to feature as a regular host for international and domestic matches.
In 2013, the first-ever ODI was played at this ground between India and England before the hosts took on Australia in the first-ever Test in 2017. India had gone on to win that Test to clinch the series.
How to get to HPCA Stadium, Dharamsala
HPCA Stadium Address: Cricket Stadium, Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association, Tehsil, Distt, Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh 176215
Located at nearly 1500 meters above sea-level, the HPCA Stadium in Dharamsala is also one of the most picturesque stadiums in the world. At the same the way to get there isn’t the most straightforward.
One of the reasons why a lot of matches aren’t organised at this ground is the weather really deteriorates in winter time which makes it even tougher to get to the ground.
The closest airport to the stadium is the Kangra Airport in Gaggal which is about 12 km away from the HPCA Stadium in Dharamsala. The challenge here is that the airport is located at a lower height than the stadium which makes the commute to the stadium on match-days a tad more difficult. That said, it’s probably one of the most beautiful drives too!
You can book a cab once you reach the airport and it will cost you about INR 500-1000.
You can also take a train from Delhi and get off at Pathankot from where you can take a train to Kangra. This is around the same place where you would take a cab from the airport and you could do the same to get to the HPCA Stadium in Dharamsala.